Sunday, August 2, 2009

Secret Women's Business

There’s this new ad on TV that says “You shouldn’t be taxed for being a woman.”

I’m inclined to believe it’s exactly the reason certain things are included in the GST...it’s inescapable, and for the most part, not negotiable.

For, what’s that old saying: ‘Only two things in life are certain; Death, and Taxes.’

So it stands to reason that if it’s gonna be needed, someone’s going to put a price on it. In this case, we’re talking about ‘feminine hygiene products’ (and isn’t it funny that there’s still such obvious discomfort about discussing this natural occurrence and management thereof, that they have to employ euphemisms).

And it appears that the ad has caught the attention of the very market at which it was aimed. Which is great news for the supermarket chain in question- seems it’s luring those customers away from their competitors- at least if you believe the word on the street.

For example, I recently paused in the supermarket aisle to peruse all the possibilities for a periodic episode, when a couple comes strolling through. She slowed her pace and came to a stop alongside me whilst he picked up speed and was last seen dashing around the corner into Dairy. As we both stood there, dazed and confused by the size of the selection and the specials, it didn’t seem at all strange to strike up a conversation about it.

“A lot to choose from, eh.” says she, addressing the shelves in front of us but I assumed she was really talking to me. See, eye contact is a big thing in these situations, or rather, a lack thereof (kinda like the men at the urinal so I’m told- you don’t wanna look in the wrong place so keep your eyes at the wall dead ahead at all times).

“Yes, too many.” says I in a sparkling display of my conversational skills.

“There should just be one type of each to make it easier” continued the stranger at my right.

“And one price across the board” I agreed.

“But at least they’re not adding GST to them anymore,” says my newfound friend, “unlike some other stores.”

“Now if only we could get them to take the tax off a few more of life’s necessities!” declared I.

Perhaps it was a case of safety in numbers as our selection seemed to take a little longer than the usual sideways snatch-and-grab on a quick trip up the aisle. And we finally strolled companionably around the corner to find her other half still lurking near the yoghurt section.

As she was smacking him with the sanitary napkins and stirring him for taking off again, I continued on my quest for other essential items (with GST included, unfortunately), chuckling as I went.

I was then amused as I took my turn at the cash register, where an obviously pubescent lad highlighted his rather unfortunate crop of acne with a brilliant blush as he scanned my items. It probably didn’t help that I clumsily dropped that particular product no less than three times as I was transferring it from basket to conveyor belt to bag. (Isn’t it amazing how clumsy one can be when you least need it?)

Based on his face, it made me wonder how the checkout chicks cope when a customer plonks a packet of prophylactics on the counter. (Lord knows I blush if it’s my turn to buy them, and I’m a married woman approaching 40 for crying out loud!) Mind you, I can’t get my Beloved to buy certain items for love nor money…

How did we get to TV shows that show way too much of the seedier side of life, in a world where “sex, drugs, and rock & roll” seem to be both acceptable and attainable ideals; yet the man and the woman on the street still can’t bring themselves to freely use the proper terminology for totally natural bodily functions and the products designed to make that time of life a little easier (oh and what is with the blue liquid they use in all those ads, I ask you? If it’s blue, you’re in big trouble, I’d say)!

But I digress.

So, back to that ad and the claims one shouldn’t be taxed for being a woman.

While I’m happy to see at least one supermarket is covering a tax that the average female gets hit with for around 40 years of her life, I’d be absolutely cheering the first company that was brave enough to say it without the euphemisms too.

Jx
©2009

No comments:

Post a Comment