Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Ghost of Childhood Past

I’ve just had word that another old schoolmate has died.

Well, not that we’re that old, really. I mean, sure I’m staring down the barrel of the big 4.0. but I’m still a few months off yet. I can still claim to be young-ish (even if the face that greets me in the mirror some mornings looks frighteningly tired and old).

No, what I mean is, a friend from long ago when we were carefree- the way kids are meant to be.

Sure, we’ve lost touch- as most mates do once you’re not forced to spend 6 hours in their company, 5 days a week, for up to 13 years.

Life kinda gets in the way.

Until someone you used to know dies.

And then there’s the flurry of phone calls, emails, or SMS…firstly to pass along the sad news to someone who might not know…or the messages madly trying to find out why a “kid” you grew up with, has their name in the Obituaries.

Makes me wonder why we don’t take more time, or spend a little more energy keeping in touch while we’re all still fit and healthy.

But there’s your answer right there, isn’t it?

When you’re in the prime of life, sometimes we get so busy just living that we don’t stop and think until perhaps someone isn’t.

Oh I know we’ve all made an effort here and there- sending the occasional Christmas or birthday card, forwarding an email that says “I’m thinking of you”, or even dropping a note or a smiley on one of the many social networks rolling around.

I know I sent a message for this former chum a good couple of years ago now, on one of those “school friends” sites. Didn’t get a reply so I left it at that. Won’t get one now.

But in the face of this news, I’ve already touched base with two other mates, with whom the contact is sporadic but always as comfortable as ever. I guess it’s different if you can date your friendship way back to wagging preschool together by hiding out in the cubby house.

Still, I don’t see them as often as I’d like. Mind you, we all live in different cities now, occasionally different countries, so it’s a little difficult to kick back with a cuppa or a cold one with a friend when distance is your foe.

And so I sit, wondering why yet another classmate has gone too soon.

Thinking of all those who I really should make contact with.

And being thankful for those who I do get to catch up with for a laugh.

And I offer up a silent prayer for the children that I played with...the teenagers I hung out with... the adults I spent time with… who now get to watch over us all.

Jx
©2009

No comments:

Post a Comment